|The Raciążek School|
The beginnings of the Raciążek School date back to the interwar
period. Then, it functioned as a 6-grade primary school. With
the outbreak of World War II, classes were suspended, and
the nazi occupier's repressive measures hurt a great number
of teachers' families.
After the war, the now 7-grade primary school reopened. However,
the premises problems that had been encountered, prompted
the construction of a new school building. The inhabitants
of Raciążek and the neighboring villages - students and their
parents began to carry out their civic responsibilities, and
build the school. The outcome was a new, spacious school building.
It started to function in 1957, and in 1973 it was converted
into a Collective Communal School.
The then school headmaster Zbigniew Kącki started to encourage
the search for a proper patron for the school. The preparatory
work took almost a year - the patron and all the information
concerning it was gathered. The whole school community decided
to choose The National Education Board, emphasizing at the
same time its modern educational standards. The National Education
Board - the first ministry of public education, was brought
into being during the partition Seym (Polish parliament session)
of October 14th, 1773. The Board, made up of the most outstanding
and enlightened people of that time: Andrzej Zamoyski, Michał
Poniatowski, Joachim Chreptowicz, Ignacy Potocki, Adam Kazimierz
Czartoryski, Grzegorz Piramowicz, worked out a new curriculum,
created the faculty, sub-faculty, and parish schools system,
and higher education schools in Krakow and Wilno.
In 1775, on Ignacy Potocki's own initiative, the Society
for Elementary Books was established. It was to coordinate
the work on new textbooks, but quite soon it began to work
on the new curricula and secondary schools performance.
The creators of the educational system reform believed that
its main goal was to raise a good person and a good citizen.
The process of nationalization and standardization of all
schools on all levels by the KEN (National Education Board)
was accompanied by education of the national character. Apart
from making the mother tongue the language of instruction,
the KEN commended to provide all students with the most extensive
knowledge of Poland possible. The knowledge of all details
connected with the nation's life would give good foundation
for civil and patriotic education. This, in turn, would help
the students to understand what needs to be done in their
adult life to ensure a happy future for Poland.
On October 23rd, 1974, the school was named the National
Education Board School. At that time, an interesting initiative
was introduced - an annual Commune's Administrator's Award
for the best graduate. This beautiful custom has survived
until this day.
In the 1980's a major overhaul was carried out. It included
complete modernization of the whole building, three attic
rooms were turned into a classroom, a library and a scouts'
With the beginning of the 1990's, in the face of all the
changes in the country, the functioning of the school changed
as well. Since January 1st, 1996, communes were made responsible
for running of all schools. They now held the responsibility
for the school's administration and finance management. Thanks
to the Commune's support, the material and teaching base was
improved in our school, and the interiors of the building
were refurbished. Since the education reform of September
1999, some organizational changes were introduced. Primary
school became a 6-grade school, and older students continue
their education in a 3-grade Grammar School that is located
in the same building as the Primary School. At the same time,
the school acquired a beautiful, well-equipped computer room.
Both institutions have been functioning well to provide all
schoolchildren with broad education and development, and good
care. The best proof for that is the fact that our graduates
have been doing really well in secondary schools. The grammar
school exam carried out last year (in accordance with the
new reform), showed that the students are well prepared for
secondary school. However, despite all the successes, the
lack of a proper gym was a major problem for students as well
as the teachers. The small gym that the Primary School used,
did not meet the needs of the community. Hence, the idea to
build a new gym was born, and the decision of the Commune
Committee put that idea into practice. By October 2002 the
new building was ready, and the grand opening took place on
October 17th. Both, the Primary and Grammar School have been
using this gym since then.